As you all may have read in an earlier blog post of mine, some studies have found that ingesting protein before a workout can increase your metabolism for hours after your workout. (Source:RealAge) So I’ve been trying to make sure that if I’m headed to the gym a good while after a meal (or before a meal, in the case of AM workouts), I eat something that’s rich in protein.
I had been mixing 1/2 scoop protein powder with cold coffee before my morning workouts, but then my changing work schedule had me going to the gym after work for a couple days last week. So I was faced with a dilemma: what to pack with me to get my pre-workout protein?
No-Bake Chocolate Peanut Butter Protein Balls
(adapted from a recipe by Chalene Johnson… which I found on about 10 different pages but can’t find the original)
Ingredients (makes 10-12)
– 1/2 cup peanut flour
– 3 scoops chocolate protein powder (I used Designer whey)
– 1/2 cup oat bran
– 3 tbsp peanut butter (I used crunchy), melted slightly
1. Combine all dry ingredients and mix well.
2. Add the peanut butter and mix as well as you can.
3. Add enough water to make the mixture sticky and moist.
4. Roll into 10-12 balls and place on a plate covered with wax paper. Pop in the freezer for a 10 minutes or so.
5. To store, I wrapped each individually in wax paper and plastic-baggied 8 for the freezer and 2 for the fridge. Move the frozen ones the fridge the day before you want to eat them.
|dry ingredient blend.
Obviously, I forgot to snap a picture of the mixture pre-ball-formation haha. This balls turned out to be pretty good! The taste reminds me of those really good chocolate-peanut butter no bake cookies only healthier-tasting.