>…since I posted a main dish meal! So I figured that I would post one of my new favorite recipes! It mainly involves a slow cooker, barley, and chicken. It yields a main dish so creamy and delectable that you’ll just want to sit and bask in its excellence.
Indian-Spiced Chicken and Barley
– 1 lb skinless, boneless chicken breast
– juice of 1 lemon
– 1 tsp (roughly) turmeric
-1 tbsp olive oil
-1 large red onion, finely chopped
– 4 stalks celery, diced
– 4 cloves garlic, minced
– 1 tbsp minced gingerroot
– 1 tbsp ground cumin
– 2 tsp ground coreander
– sprinkling of indian spice blend (garam masala/curry will do)
– 1/2 tsp salt
– 1 cup rinsed barley
– 1 can no-salt-added diced tomatoes
– 1 cup broth/stock (I made this with the sodium-free broth powder and water)
– sprinkling of cayenne pepper
– 1 cup plain yogurt
1. Chop chicken breast into bite-sized pieces and spread out on bottom of slow cooker. Squeeze lemon on top and sprinkle with turmeric. Toss to combine and spread back out in a single layer.
|before the tomatoes/broth|
3. Pour over the chicken. Cook in slow cooker on Low for 5 hours or High for 2 1/2 hours. Stir in the cayenne pepper and yogurt. Cover and cook for 20 minutes.