I have a few “old faithfuls” in my repertoire. These are the recipes that I can make over and over in varied ways without much thought. The one that has probably already become obvious to you is oatmeal. I make it in varied ways all the time. For instance, today I started my day out with Pumpkin and Peanut flour Steel-Cut Oats.
|pumpkin/peanut flour mixture|
|…w/oats and spices|
Another “old faithful” of mine is Asian Stir Fry. There are three steps to making a delicious stir-fry. These steps can be intermixed to make for a more efficient cooking time:
– Some of my typical selections are tofu, tempeh, and scallops. To prepare any of these, I simply spray a nonstick pan with cooking spray and saute the selected protein chopped into bite-sized pieces (or whole for scallops)
– Optional- sprinkle the protein with chinese five spice powder for additional flavor.
– Once fully cooked, I transfer it to the plate that I’m going to eat from and save for a later step.
Step 2: Select and prepare the sauce
– Typically I will mix a little bit of water with about 1/2 tsp cornstarch per serving of stir fry. (Sometimes I add peanut flour instead of this step)
– To this mixture, I add about 1 tbsp of flavorful sauce per serving. Per serving, I usually do 1/2 tbsp soy sauce combined with hoisin, oyster, and/or fish sauce.
– Next, I add vinegar, lemon, or lime juice. I usually add the same amount as the flavorful sauce.
– Mix in 1 clove minced garlic and 3/4 tsp grated ginger per serving.
– Optional – Add chili garlic sauce
Step 3: Select and prepare the vegetables
– Some favs: cabbage, carrots, asparagus, snow peas, broccoli, bell peppers
Preparation: Prepare protein (step 1) and set aside. Then, stir fry desired vegetables over medium high heat with desired oil. Once vegetables are crisp-tender, mix in sauce. Bring to a boil and reduce to a simmer. Simmer 2-3 minutes, until thickened. Add protein. Cook 1 minute, until heated.
Tonight for dinner, I decided to make…
Tofu and Mixed Vegetable Stir Fry w/Hoisin-Peanut Sauce (for two)
Protein: Diced tofu sautéed w/chinese 5 spice powder
Sauce: 1 T peanut flour, 1 T red-sod soy sauce, 1 T Hoisin sauce, 2 cloves garlic, 1 1/2 t grated ginger, 1/2 tsp sesame oil
Veggies: red cabbage, scallions, carrot, broccoli, crushed red pepper, black pepper, EVOO
|mmm mmm good|
I love making stir fry because it includes lots of vegetables, it’s super flavorful, and it allows me to eat with chopsticks!
What are some of your old faithfuls?